Yield: 8 Tortillas about 8 inch round
1 1/4 Cups (310ml) Water
2 Tbsp (30 ml) Flax Seeds
1 1/3 Cups (335 ml) Buckwheat Flour
3/4 Cup (180 ml) Golden Flax Flour
Extra buckwheat for rolling
1. Make flax gel by placing the water and whole flax seeds in a
medium size pot.
2. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat, strain and set the liquid aside to cool.
After the flax gel has cooled to handling temperature, mix and roll the tortillas.
1. In a heavy glass bowl, combine the buckwheat and flax flours.
2. Stir in the warm flax gel.
3. Mix with a strong spoon, or use a counter top mixer, for 2 to 3 minutes, until a soft dough is formed.
4. Generously flour the work surface with buckwheat flour.
5. Scoop about 80 ml (1/3 cup) or #16 ice cream scoop onto the work surface.
6. Roll to coat with flour and then kneed with additional flour until the dough loses its stickiness but is still soft.
7. Roll the dough until it is very thin and the desired diameter. Trim to form a smooth round tortilla.
8. Bake on a hot, dry griddle or cast iron frying pan until the edges begin to curl (30 to 45 seconds), turn and continue cooking until the edges curl again (20 to 30 seconds).
9. Stack the tortillas on a plate lined with paper towel and cover until cool. When cool, package for later use.
These tortillas freeze well. Rewarm in a microwave for a few seconds.
Enjoy these tortillas with any of your favourite fillings.